The OS or the operating system is the main software on which a smartphone runs.To be frank there are only two competitors in this world Google Android and Apple iOS.Huawei after the trade ban from U.S is set to launch its own OS but at this moment these two are the main.Obviously Android has more customer base as it is spread over different phone companies and iOS is only for Apple.
As I said besides Apple all companies use Android as their OS.But to set a mark most of these companies cover the Android with a skin of their own which is called the UI(User Interface).For example Samsung has the One UI,One Plus has Oxygen OS etc.
Some companies like Nokia,Motorola run the pure Android version like Google Pixel phones and are called stock android phones.Now whether you like the skin over Android or not is completely upon you but you can be assured that Android features are not lost in these devices.
Here are some key features of these different UI s along with Android 10 and iOS 13.
Key Features of Android 10
Android 10 ( https://www.android.com/intl/en_in/android-10/ )is the latest version of Android and has been rolled out to almost all phones barring Huawei and Honor phones.Some key features of this version are-
- Gesture Navigation-Some new gestures have been added along with the improvements of old ones.An example of a new gesture is the swiping up from bottom to go back to Home Screen.
- Create QR code for WiFi-This is one of my personal favourites.You surely remember while sharing internet connection via hotspot to your friend you had to share your password.Now it is no more needed as you can create a QR code while connecting which your friend can scan and access internet.
- Undo App Removal-Sometimes you unintentionally may remove an app from homescreen and forget which one.Now for a certain time an undo button will appear on pressing anywhere on home screen and you can get the app back.
- Location Control-Another very necessary upgradation.As we all know some apps require location access.Now we have the option of controlling that and those apps will be able to access location only when they are running.Previously they could it always.
- Privacy-The Privacy settings have changed a bit and for the good.There are more permission options available to you which increases your control over apps which have access to your Gallery or Photos etc.
- Better Notification Controls-Two options are available now on long pressing any notification,Alarm or Silent.To fully disable you can go to the app settings as before.
- Smart Reply-One more very useful upgradation is the smart reply.Suppose you are doing something else on your phone while a message notification comes what can you do?You can either ignore it or go back and give a reply.With smart reply the message notification comes with reply options like Thanks,Okay and you don’t have to leave the current screen.
- Live Caption-This feature was originally made for Pixel phones but will now be available to all slowly.Here you can put Live Captions to any videos you are watching.You can find the settings on the volume toggle.
- Sound Amplifier-You can now remove background sounds and make your headphone experience better with this feature.
- Focus Mode-With all the stress you go through if you want some peaceful time with no disturbances from your phone or if you wish to spend some quality times with your family this mode is your option.Here you can select some apps and pause them temporarily.They will not function unless you tap again.
- Lift To Wake-As the name suggests as soon as you pick up your phone the screen wakes up.
All the different UI s have some things in common between themselves and with Android.With continuous upgradation Google is slowly incorporating almost every important feature in their OS.We will talk about the key features of the different UI s here.
One more thing I need to mention is that Screenshots shortcuts are different for different phones which you can know about here.
SAMSUNG ONE UI
Samsung’s One UI is the most developed UI s.It suceeded the previously known Samsung Experience.
- More versatile DeX mode-Samsung has this unique DeX mode through which operating on desktops is made easier.Now you don’t have a separate DeX dock but you need to plug in any HDMI adaptor.Also you can use your phone alongside which you couldn’t earlier.The draw back is this feature is not available in all Samsung phones but only in high end ones.
- Secure Folder-A privacy feature where you can keep certain apps in a secure folder and lock it.
- Game Tools and Launcher-Mobile gaming is at its high at this moment.Almost all phones now have this feature where you can store games in a separate folder and launch them.Samsung is one of the first phones to have this feature.
- Gesture Navigation-Samsung is again of the pioneers of Infinity displays which results in removal of the home button or the back button.Instead they support gestures like swiping up from bottom left to go back,swiping up from bottom middle to go home and swiping up from bottom right to go to previous apps.
- Dual Messenger Apps-You can access two Facebook Messenger or Whatsapp accounts or any other messaging apps.
- One Handed Use-With display sizes increasing day by day one handed use of smartphones are becoming more difficult.To reduce this difficulty Samsung has brought many features by which you can access everything one handed.
- Edge Screen-A separate app menu is present on the edges of displays.This is available in almost all phones of different companies with edge displays.
- New Keyboard Features-New adaptive themes have come.A new Floating Mode is featured where the keyboard floats i.e you can access it anywhere on the screen you like.
- Customisable Icon Styles-One can customise the icons on their phones to their personal liking.
- Animated Wallpapers-You don’t have to search anymore on web.Different animated wallpapers will be present in your phone.
- Smart Sidebar-Quite similar to the Edge panels this is a toggle which appears from side with some apps.
- Dual earphone Connection-One of my favourite ones.You can use wired headphones and bluetooth headphones together.Thus either you and your friend can hear to same music or you can use one for talking and the other for hearing.
- Focus Mode-Similar to Android 10 feature only here a soothing music will play in background.
- Private Information Protection-The phone is said to return empty information pages to apps requesting access to personal data thus enhancing your privacy.
MIUI For XIAOMI and REDMI
- Super Wallpaper-Many pre installed wallpapers for you to choose from.
- New Animations-For icons and features like fingerprint unlock or face unlock.
- Stronger privacy and Security Measures-Like the Android 10 feature
- Health and Fitness Features-No of steps you walk, diabetes control and other such fitness features have been made more accurate.
- iOS like Control Centre-The latest MIUI 12 has got this in place of the quick settings menu.
OXYGEN OS ONEPLUS
- App Locker-You can keep some apps under lock so that others can’t open without your permission.
- Shelf-A productive tool on homescreen which gives you a dashboard like feature.
- Gestures-New ones like half long pressing power button opens Google Assistant.Another unique gesture is you can draw O,V,S,M or W on locked display and open an app of your choice like flashlight,camera etc.
- Parallel Apps-Similar to Samsung’s Dual Messenger here you can clone any app like messenger and use two accounts together.
- Zen Mode-The idea is the same as Focus mode of Android 10 but here the phone is under complete lockdown for 20 minutes.You can’t use any apps except photos and can make emergency calls only during this time.
EMUI HUAWEI and HONOR
- Apps Drawer-separate place for apps
- Navigation Dock-A floating button for navigation panel
- Apps Lock-Keep some apps locked for privacy
- App Twin-Same as Dual Messenger of Samsung and Parallel Apps of OnePlus
With the ban on Huawei in trading with US companies Huawei and Honor phones are not coming with Google Playstore or some Google apps like Gmail.A separate App Gallery is present where number of apps are increasing with time.Gmail or Facebook have to be accessed on Web version.
COLOR OS OPPO
- New App Drawer-The design has been updated.Stock apps have also been redesigned so that you can recognise them easily.
- New Notification Panel
- Hyper Boost-A feature to boost the phone performance during certain operations.
- Enhanced Game Space App-Some new fea
- tures have been included for better gaming.
- Breeno Smart Voice Assistant-It is Oppo’s new voice assistant.
As tha name suggests this OS has very colourful features.
OnePlus,Oppo,Realme and Vivo are all from BBK Enterprises.They have certain similarities obviously and the FUNTOUCH OS of Vivo proves it.It differs from Oppo and most other phones in the fact that its notification panel comes up from below.Besides the usual features Vivo’s virtual voice assistant Jovi has been upgraded.
iOS 13 APPLE
The key features of this latest version are-
- Dark Mode-It has a new look now with dedicated wallpapers you can choose from.
- Revamped Photos App-An all new Photos tab is present.Auto playing of live photos and videos is enabled.There are smart photo previews in the app.Photo editing interface has also been changed.
- Location Data Limits
- New Lookaround View in Apps
- New Reminder settings
- Siri now has a new Indian English voice.Now Siri supports 22 Indian languages.A new Hindi English bilingual keyboard is also present.
The customary Apple features like Air Drop,iMessages have been upgraded.
Customisation is the key to these UIs.But as the base of most Android phones are Android I personally feel any important or innovative feature should be incorporated in the pure Android version for smoother performance.Having said that I am not denying the quality of the different UI s mentioned above.
Neverthless did I miss any key feature.Please let me know in comments.